Reasons for Homeschooling

Thanks Tracy for the detailed insight. Many homeschool parents feel that way and as a former teacher, I can relate to how much time is being wasted just trying to “manage” a group full of students varied in academic skills.

I suppose when Ethan arrives closer to the age of elementary school the right course for him will present itself. He is already highly advanced, so finding a gifted school to meet & expand his abilties & personal growth will be sought. If there isn’t a perfect program in Hawaii then I’ll continue to try to help him thrive and teach him how to learn.

I plan to homeschool for a long list of reasons! Off the top of my head…

1. I’m an American-Muslim, living in the States. I want to give my child a start in life that is centered on our values and beliefs and right knowledge.

2. I think I can give my child a better education than they could get in ANY school, if the time comes that I’m not able to personally offer my children the absolute best, then I will look into getting them a private tutor/nanny, because, as they say, Public school is a rather necessary default for educating the masses, but a poor method for educating the individual.

3. Homeschool can (and usually is) superior to public and private educations.

Academically superior education (even if it is delivered at a slower pace), more time to spend on your childs interest, you can take advantage of real life spontaneous moments to teach and learn with your child, there isn’t nearly as much stress and less of the unhealthy competition at home (or at least I won’t foster that in MY home school). Also, busy work, boredom and time wasting is eliminated in the homeschool. No need to spend 8hrs on just a few things, when one child could do these things in 1hr or less.

Foster a genuine love of learning and exploration by allowing a lot of learning to occur and be reinforced on your childs schedule/time table.

Parents remain in controlover what, when and how my kids are learning and can there for deliver to them the knowledge they crave, when they crave it.

I can teach my children what I wan’t them to know For example, I want to do a very detailed, gradual study of both human anatomy/physioligy and geography with my children in the first 4 years. We can play games, match pictures, make art projects, watch videos, etc to accomplish this goal, so that they will have the topic down pat.

Spend as much time as they want outdoors and in books. Real books, not textbooks. I don’t want my kids to learn primarily from textbooks especially before HighSchool. I hated them when I was little, still do and I didn’t even use them AS MUCH as my public schooled friends did.

No LABELS I have every intention of accelerating and streamliningmy children’s education, especially math, reading, science, practical skills and reading. I don’t want them labeled, as gifted, smart, ugly, cool, unpopular, or anything. I’m not even sure I like “__ grader.” I can see myself classifying them according to their age for official purposes, but I don’t want my children labeled, whether they are ‘bright’ or ‘dull’. Cool or not. :confused:

Exercise control over the influences allowed in my children’s life. I don’t want my kids pressured to be ___ or ~~~, I don’t want them learning abusive language, hitting, hating, intolerance, bad attitudes, etc, from outside sources. Of course, they could still develop these things all of their own, but then I don’t mind it as much as if they learned from “Timmy from class…”

Quality over Quantity as far as personal relationships go. Parent - child, between siblings, neighbor, etc. We can better control who they are with, doing what, why and for how long.

Quality over Quantity as far as curriculum and instruction goes also!

Language Its important to me that my children grow up multilingual. I’ll be able to dedicate more time, effort, and energy to this endeavor if we have more time to do things important to us as a family.

Peer pressure Need I say more?

Civil service, life experience and personal growth I want my kids to do volunteering and gain valuable community experience and have time to reflect for themselves and experience personal growth–not just in their senior year for a transcript, but for the sake of work.

Behavior and Personal development Its very important to me that I help my children develop strong character, good habits and be well rounded. Its going to be hard to do this if I have less than 1/2 their waking time each day.

Music, Creativity, Art, Drama etc Its important to me that my kids develop skills, talent and passion for these things and I want to make sure it gets priority whenever possible.

I hate homework! so I’ll just spare my children the drama and the heart ache. We can learn all throughout the day when we want too.

Quran and Islamic moral development I want my kids to be able to focus much of their “formal” studies during the ages 4-10 on the thing that is most important to me: My religion, Islam. I’m working on how to get as much of the Quran into them as possible as I’m constantly struggling to learn it myself.

TravelI hope to be in the position to travel the world and I want to take my kids with me.

There are many “modern/typical” things cropping up in American Society that I don’t approve of.

I want to raise my children, not send them to strangers, elsewhere to grow up

Childhood is a once in a life time event/opportunity and its being wasted in US schools. Think about this: If you sleep 1/3 of your day and 1/3 of your day is in an in efficient school that is 66% of your life that you are missing out on.

Allow my children to develop a healthy locus of control by setting their own schedules, picking many of their own subjects and following their own interests throughout the typical elementary ages.

No “dumbed down” education for them. If all goes according to plan, the first “graded” textbooks they’ll begin using constantly/primarily will be college level texts.

Lots more Field trips and car trips and camping trips and family time

No mandatory shots, testing, forced “procedures”, etc on my children!Vaccines, standardized testing, during emergencies schools are going to follow ‘procedure’ well being of the child and family be darned.(Thinking along the lines of the little boy a PS had committed to a pysch ward against his moms wishes)

Allow them to develop strong sense of self.

Learn personal, academic and practical skills right the FIRST time around. There is a lot of time wasted teaching children bad habits for one phase of their life, then twice as much time wasted trying to UNteach them those habits. (Counting on your fingers, using a diaper, ‘baby’ talk, bad habits, etc.)

Constructive Social Skills
Clear and efficient communication, ability to self motivate, ability interact respectfully with people of older, same and younger ages than themselves.

School year round (365 days a year) We can cover at least 2x as much ground as ‘standard’ and therefor will be able to afford to study more things of interests and core subjects indepthly.

Time for Personal Activities Hopefully my kids will love swimming (0-14), martial arts (3-15) and gymnastics (3-15), because those are the 3 classes and activities I wan’t them to grow up doing for the allotted ages.

Healthful meals provided for every meal Much of this common mass-produced food is poison. I wan’t to keep it all to a bare minimum in my kids lives.

Art of all kinds available to them whenever, they want through out primary years.

Early learning opportunities meaning both as babies/toddlers and for learning other topics/subjects/skills “early”

No institutionalized, arbitrary age-based discrimination
Confident, Independent learners

Allow for plenty of free time, physical activities, movement, etc.

mom2bee, you listed lots of valid and insightful reasons. karma to you for taking the time to share them with us parents.

It is not common (it is very unusual and to be honest not sure if allowed :slight_smile: ) to homeschool in Czech republic. I admire all of you that have decided to do so and do a good job. I am not sure if I would be able to … even if it was allowed here … :wink:

Just because you may not be allowed to homeschool, there is nothing stopping you from afterschooling. Basically spending a bit of time each evening to supplement your childs education :slight_smile:

I want to homeschool my son, but I am having trouble convincing my husband and my parents. I understand they want him to interact with other children but I do plan on enrolling him in physical and musical activities where he would be learning with a group of children.