Picture books for advanced readers

Some of the picture books that we like are:
Mr. Pusskins series by Sam Lloyd
Meeow and the… series by Sebastien Braun
Charlie and Lola series by Lauren Child
Our current favourites are Usborne’s Classic stories for little children; The singing mermaid by Julia Donaldson and Pinkalicious by Victoria Kann and Elizabeth Kann.

Kerileanne - I think you are right. We like a lot of the same books, and we get all of our books from the library. We are having to look a lot harder to fill our reading bags these days. We end up re-reading the same books. I was thinking of you yestreday because we got a new Judy Sierra book called Wild About You. I was wondering if you read it. Gabriella really liked it and refuses to return it yet. I know you like Wild About Books, so I immediately thought of you.

Thanks for the new recommendations. I am off to the library website to place some holds. I hope they have all these. :slight_smile:

Is anyone here on Goodreads? I haven’t used the site that much, but I like that I can get recommendations based on books I like.

Krista!
lol lol lol
This morning we became desperate as Friday Afternoons I have medical treatments–leaving us a tremendous amount of reading time over the weekend as I recover…
We loaded up, drove to Books-A-Million and bought two large shopping bags of books–including Wild About You by Judy Sierra :biggrin:

I hopefully will have some nice new recommendations over the weekend

Krista,
So funny you mentioned goodreads. I do have it. I started using it for James to keep track of all the books we borrow from the library. But it didn’t do what I wanted it to do.

Instead I have an app on my phone (android) that let’s me keep a virtual books shelf for James’ books. I can mark them as read, reading, own, wanting to buy, and lend (which I love).

James is currently ploughing his way through multiple series of levelled readers. Like the following series: Step into Reading, Rookie Readers, Green Light Readers, I Can read, Usborne First Readers, and many more.
I currently have all his books maked as reading and I use the rating star to mark each time he reads it. Once he has read it 5 times we return it to the library, or if we own it, we shelve it for a while. I want him to continue reading actively, rather than starting to memorize books, which I know he has been doing.
I also create bookshelves for each series. So i can make notes about books and series we like best. Some series we like better than others. I try to find books at about the same level, but they really aren’t equal. The Step into Reading Level 1 books don’t make a lot of sense. A Tank Engine is forced to crash into a barber shop, the barber gets cross and starts to shave him!? James was as baffled as I was.
So it is nice to have all this data on my phone when we go to the library.

Oh and the app we are using is called mybookdroid. And I can sync it to good reads.

Ok. I swore that I commented in this thread a while ago.
But I just reread the whole thing as I copied all the books down. Here are a few of our favourites.i will add more as I think of them.

Anything by Jan Brett. (I beleive she is American, but i thought she was from Europe for a long time becaus of her stories) James absolutely loves her books. The Gingerbread Baby may just be his all time favourite picture book.
Robert Munsch (Canadian)
Simms Taback- Joseph had a little Overcoat.

Keri - that is funny. I hope you like it. Too bad we can’t go book shopping together. :slight_smile: That would be a lot of fun.

Korrale4kq - The app sounds nice. That would be nice to have with me at the library. I do not have a cell phone that uses apps so I am basically a dinosaur. My kids love Goodreads. They know more about it than I do. I keep telling them to show me more of what it can do, but I haven’t made time for that yet.

Do You Have a Hat by Eileen Spinelli.

My dd loves anything by Robert Munsch.