Moved - Discussing Merits/Legitimacy of Mid-Brain Activation

This makes me curious to know if any studies have been done to see the effects of midbrain “activation” on conditions such as Tourette’s and Parkinson’s, both of which seem to be related to the dopamine hormone. I haven’t read recent research on either of these, but several years ago when I happened to have 3 students at the same time with Tourette’s, I remember finding it interesting that both Tourette’s and Parkinson’s were somehow affected by dopamine, although scientists didn’t really understand how.

By the way, it looks like congratulations are in order, Robbyjo! A new little learner! Wonderful! :smiley:

This makes me curious to know if any studies have been done to see the effects of midbrain "activation" on conditions such as Tourette's and Parkinson's, both of which seem to be related to the dopamine hormone. I haven't read recent research on either of these, but several years ago when I happened to have 3 students at the same time with Tourette's, I remember finding it interesting that both Tourette's and Parkinson's were somehow affected by dopamine, although scientists didn't really understand how.

Hi, I have to catch up to the entire discussion but this post reminded me of a recent show I listened to and great insight from a man who had Parkinson symptoms and they withdrew with adequate treatment (meaning NOT usual medical treatment for Parkinson which in turn makes things worse - John also says why this happens). Here is the website for more information. Note: He is talking about dopamine, ADHD, Parkinson and more. He also gives free access to a book.
http://www.marsvenus.com/blog/john-gray/download-john-grays-new-book-focus-natural-solutions-for-adhd

What puzzled me and I didn’t know was that you can reverse Parkinson symptoms! Also that addiction and dopamine are related either we talk about drugs, sugar or other things… Hope the above link is helpful.

Andrea

CVMomma, I doubt that the advertised midbrain “activation” would follow any of the conditioning methods known to science since the scientific conditioning/methods require some time to “sink in” (i.e., much longer than 2 days). Since I do not have any curriculum or material for these advertised methods, I am not acquainted to any of them. So, really, I cannot comment. Even if immediate measurable effects are not readily apparent after the 2 day workshop, I am still doubtful to any qualitative benefits, such as “mindfulness” or whatnot. I tend to attribute such qualitative benefits to placebo effects.

Tourette and Parkinson are not my area—but I think you’re right that these are affected by dopamine. I think it is still way too early to see how, especially that some activation might do harm instead.

Thank you for the congratulation!

@andreasro: I don’t think that Parkinson can be reversed just yet. There’s an indication that it is a diabetic-like disease, as is Alzheimer, but it is still under intense investigation (as of Jan 2014). Caveat: This is not my area, so I might be wrong.

I highly doubt that a casual research by someone has no relevant scientific publications would result in “natural cure” for ADHD among other things. I respect John Gray for his Mars book, but he really should not offer medical advice. His wikipedia states that he obtained his Ph.D. from a correspondence university should speak volumes about his academic credentials. I don’t think that his “cure” would hold in a rigorous clinical trial. His webpage is appropriately adorned with the following paragraph:

The statements and products referred to throughout this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. They are the expressed opinion of John Gray for the sole purpose of educating the public regarding their health, happiness and improved quality of relationships. Individual results may vary. Seek the advice of a competent health care professional for your specific health concerns.

In other words, Mr. Gray doesn’t want to be held accountable for non-results or harm resulting from his advice.

"I really think that one of the best articles is this one. It has everything. I needed this information to prove wrong my teacher. I knew this was happening. But my teacher did not agree

with me. Now, he’ll know I was right! Thank you!
"

Midbrain
"I really think that one of the best articles is this one. It has everything. I needed this information to prove wrong my teacher. I knew this was happening. But my teacher did not agree

with me. Now, he’ll know I was right! Thank you!
"
MidBrain Activation For Adults
Midbrain

Are we setting our kids up for Attention Deficit Disorder? If you think about the very rapid flashing thing very logically, you see that perhaps we are. I’ve read a lot about how over stimulation with interactive medium affects children adversely.

Hi Tamsin I have revisited this page in order to file questions for my interview.
What you say is very true - WINK alone would not be enough simply because they do not offer
any signposts - they only say - just 10 minutes a day - but for how long ?