Local (offline) early-learning support groups?

I’ve often thought of starting a group or something here in Utah County, Utah. I know having higher education is very important to people here so I would be curious to see how much interest there would be in early education.

Any updates?

Has anyone started an offline Early Learning group and if so, how is it going? I’m very interested in starting one in the Northern NJ/NYC area so any feedback would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

This might be a funny idea, but I thought about leaving a flyer, note, or defacing just one page in some of Doman’s books at the library. The kind of parent you would be seeking out would be one that borrows a doman or montessori book, right? I just thought about leaving an email written vertically near the binding in some random page of the book (where the staff wouldn’t notice flipping through after a book has been returned). Something like “For more info on a local Early Learning Parenting Group, please contact email@email.com.”

It would take some time for the book to circulate, but what can it hurt. Except for maybe getting a fine for defacing a library book. haha.

Just came across this - what a great idea!

Anyone in London, UK? Or in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia?

Anyone in Lima, Peru that wants to belong to an Early Educator’s group.
We can start being two to make a group.

I love the idea of leaving a note inside library books. Might I suggest you use a sticky note tucked close to the binding so as not to officially deface the library book and yet still leave the relevant information. What an excellent way to find a like minded local parent.

I note Canadians from Ontario, anyone from the west central area of Saskatchewan? I have been asking around for over a year and I admit to a slight depression. It just doesn’t seem anyone anywhere near me is even slightly into early development.

Thankfully I have Brillkids!

Hey Kimba15,

I’m in South Australia too! Just moved here and no absolutely no one and am not keen on talking to strangers about the fact that my two year old can read and do math as I’ve had negative and uncomfortable experiences with people’s reactions in the past.

We live in Second Valley, but are always happy to take a trip places.

Is there someway we can get in contact with each other?

TmS

Just a thought - perhaps we can create a “Local Support Groups” board with sub-boards for each country/area so that people can register their interest.

We’d also try to encourage all new members to register themselves on it. Hopefully we can get something going in some places at least.

If you have any ideas on this or comments, please let me know!

I like the idea, but our family is concerned about privacy. I am sure this is also true of others. Maybe you can encourage people to say what their general location is (I’ll come out and reveal that mine is central Ohio), and then if there are people in the same general area then they can connect off-forum and exchange more personal info.

I think tha’ts all the info that’s needed in the beginning, really. Then it’s up to you if you want to follow up and give further details or not, whether it’s on or off forum. But now at least you would know which other members are in the vicinity!

Hi km276,

My daughter and I are scheduled to join my husband in Riyadh by mid-September of this year. We will be living “on the economy” i.e. not in a compound. My daughter will be three at the end of September and I am teaching her how to read and math. I have already shipped most of my early learning materials and books to Riyadh with my husband. I hope that we can get together at some point.

Take care!

Frechesmaedl

My son is 3 in November. When we move (date tbc!) we also plan to live off compound. I’ll send you a PM.

Hi km276, I just sent you a PM!

Great idea! I would love to join a local support group…hope it comes together on the forum soon! :slight_smile:

djsuejon from Edmonton, Canada