Knows about 100 sight words, when to expect sounding out words? Early phonics?

I saw the visual primer clip on youtube. I’m Australian, and the ladies accent is not. I had the belief she was russian with an American accent.
I emailed the jones genius people, a couple of times now, but no reply… I really want to access their program. The visual primer sounds interesting, but extremely expensive. And you dont know what you are getting. Are the dvds? how long do they go for? How many do you get? The info is thin on the ground…

It seems with the Jones program for info you have to call them. Might be a wee bit of long distances charges for you though.
Visual Primer, I agree there is very little info offered and no email or phone number.

hello everyone!
ok: dr. jones’ manipulatives:
-2 how to DVDs (reading and math)… VERY step by step and home made, but lots of info on it. once he showed how to do something i just FF through until the next part. nice to have as a refresher.
-2 binders, reading and math with step by step instructions
-various manipulatives: numerals with dots and without, special alphabet, all 44 phonic sounds, lots of papers to practice tracing, writing, etc. and lots of papers with + - x / problems on them and more you can copy. i got a big box with all the stuff. posters for math and reading, too.the program is really not meant for any child before like 15-16 mo. he says 2 is the youngest, but with all of us flashing our brains out, he thinks we are ready. if he doesn’t answer when you call, he might be on vacation before school starts (i think he has a school/classes in TX). i would keep calling/emailing him.
also, his website is buggy… i noticed that, too. i think it is safe to say that brillkids is an exceptional site!!

i also took the extra step and purchased the online course to help guide me through the process. i found that the best thing as i had lots of questions and i got to go to the source. very helpful! that was the main reason i brought DJ to everyone’s attention.

visual primer:
i could have sworn that accent was australian, because the gal and Jo sound exactly alike! lol anyway, it is some kind of crazy accent, which he says he has other videos of people speaking.
with that said, i did fwd. all of the comments that have been listed. he is taking them all into account so i’m hoping an improvement. now i will say it has taken me almost 4 months to get a response. i saw his stuff on you tube and was very impressed, especially with the math program, which is what caught my attention. he seems to be an academic and not a marketer, so i think we are witnessing the beginning of a company.
with that being said, i would just keep emailing him and asking questions. it takes about 3 email to get an answer. you guys must think i’m crazy because once i get a hold of something i don’t let go until i have an answer! lol
here is the address:
earlyadvancededucation@hotmail.com
tell him you got the info. from me (leanna)

here is what i understand about visual primer:
as you are reading words, the video (a download) is focused on the lips while it is reading. there was a thread about how seeing lips move for babies/young children is great for learning language and why it was difficult to learn languages from a DVD, CDs, etc. that is what got me motivated to know more about it. he does put together languages, which they are inthe process of doing. in any event, he says once you go through that (2-5 min./day) then you graduate to something called the DD read and speak. same type of thing, but more advanced vocab and a very innovate interactive video/lip reading thing. there are also downloads to work with along side the lessons. once you have got the reading thing down, THEN you go to the math. he is obviously bringing the math price down (i still have no idea why it is so high :huh: ) anyway…
the math is amazing because there is basic mathematics, then algebra AND physics, chemistry… etc. so by the time your child is like 6-8 they are all the way through high school math. even if they get through algebra at this age, i’m totally up for that. it is my understanding that he is a doman guy from way back (like 20 years) and he developed this for his children and those are his kids on youtube and the website.

hope that helps. please PM me if you have any other questions. i will say that i think visual primer is expensive but i do think dr. jones is worth every penny, provided you stick to his schedule. it does take time, but i think we are all up for that! i think i have to wait until next month for VP b/c my husband is going to KILL me if i buy any more materials for our DD lol

write with questions
the doc :clown:

I really like the idea of my little ones being through high school maths, physics, chemistry by eight. Might be worth it for my older kids too…sounds very expensive though…

It seriously cant be $9,900 for the math section? And when is chemisty and physics coming out I wonder…and how unaffordable will that be?

I know the cost is coming down and that (i THINK) that number is over years… and includes everything. i think if an individual wanted that (and he were only to sell a few) over the years that is what it would cost in total. but if enough people are interested it will come down. when i first contacted him the math/beginning algebra was $25/day for 50 days… but that (i now realize) is just the beginning.
but i would contact him, tell him of your interest in the math. make sure to tell him about the reading ability of your child, as that is important to the success of his math program.
btw, i just got in trouble for buying too much stuff for the DD (BOI, DVDs, etc) so it looks like i’m going to have to hold off on visual primer for a while. lol
good luck and let us know what you find out!
the doc :clown:

Thankfully my daughter is showing some “output” now which “proves” my husband I know what I’m doing (kind of anyways?!) but how much I spend on educational tools for my kids is a very frequent discussion in our house. LOL

Mr. VP needs to take that 10K math program and divide it up over 10 years…even that wouldn’t be enough at 1,000 a year! But seriously, that huge package needs to be broken up into years, the astronomical price aside, no one wants to commit to a 10 year math program without knowing anything about it for starters! (I am guessing on the time frame).

He should give it away to about 5 people on this site and get some buzz going if it really is that good, and then those people would review, make a real FAQ to post on his site, take pictures, etc. It would be a great marketing trick. And maybe team up with BK for an affiliate program too.

Oh and Monique- I have an issue when clicking on the 2-6 program too, try again but click your mouse just a bit higher and it should work. The website is funny, I have accidentally clicked on the other a bunch of times too.

There’s a new more detailed example clip for the Visual Primer on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFmgfqq5-vM&feature=sub

I just wanted to update this thread.

My original question (written when DD was 19.5 months) was how long will it take her to make the leap from sight reading to phonics? As I posted very excitedly in another thread, the answer is about 2.5 months. We did a lot of you tube phonics songs/chants in the beginning, then leapfrog talking word factory (skipped talking letter factory because she already knew the basic letter sounds). My Montessori House DVD’s seemed to make the differance though as we introduced them in the last month or so. She verbally demonstrated “hhhhh ahhhhh ttttt…HOT!” one day out of the blue. Then I swapped out the H for R and she read ROT And later WAX which we’ve never taught her.

Now I know she gets it, I pulled out DadDude’s Fleschcards Set 1 today (which she wasn’t really into two months ago although we did do them somewhat for a while) and she read all of them. So now I need to go buy more cardstock (I should go to the office supply store and buy this stuff in bulk! I just had to buy an office grade printer last month when I killed our old one) so I can print off more sets of Fleschcards.

Thats wonderful news Tonya! I’m so excited for you guys! Its funny once they get it they just get it.

I would be very interested to hear more from you about your daughter’s progress, LilyAndOwensMom! I have started showing YBCR DVDs to my daugher about 2 months ago, I did not really test her or anything, so I had no idea if any of it was working. Then a week or two ago I printed out a few of the words from Vol 1 and she could recognise them without a problem! So I printed more and if she struggled to remember any of them, I would only need to prompt her once or twice for the word to settlle. So these DVD’s have saved me a lot of work.
So I am now thinking of moving onto phonics and have been looking at Progressive Phonics and DadDude’s Fleschcards, although I am not sure if I should first go through all YBCR words since those seem to be sinking in?

I would do both with my kid probably. I plan to start phonics sooner with my son, that’s for sure. I don’t see any harm in YBCR though and my kids seem to really like it, so I would probably just do both at the same time, I think it can only help.

I absolutely adore the preschool prep company, their videos are so suitable for the really young kids without a lot of distracting background or plots. I am impatiently waiting for Meet the Phonics to come out, it’s supposed to before the end of the year. I will probably start my son with that when he mastered the shapes, colors, numbers, and letters videos, along with the Discovery Toys/Barbara phonics Chant on youtube, a favorite in our house. My montessori house DVD’s seem great at teaching word building but I’d prefer something a little more straight forward for starting out, I am really hoping Meet the Phonics will accomplish that beautifully, they exceeded my expectations on every other DVD we’ve purchased from them.

And i just have to laugh that today My Montessori House posted an article on facebook today that says “absolutely no tv before age two!”…I wanted to post that their very videos are what pushed my daughter over the hump to begin sounding out phonics at 22 months lol …but I resisted. LOL

Thanks, LilyAndOwensMom, will check those DVDs out!

Hallo !
Has someone already purchased the visual primer ?