Is there room for discussion here?

I watched the video and thought the baby watching the light bounce off the metallic bowl and directing the light around very bright. But he only had that bowl because his parents gave him a metal bowl to play with. He didn’t think to himself that he’d like to learn about physics that day and go to the cupboard and get the bowl. Without parents providing the learning materials in the first place learning opportunities are lost.

Patreiche : Thank you …at least someone understands my humor, I actually got a PM telling me I should be respectful and act like an “adult”.>> wow…well I had a good laugh tho.

I totally agree Nikita.
If leaving babies to learn on their own without any interference was the way to go… I should have became a genius.
I was raised by my grandparents, they fed and clothed me very well but they just didnt have the energy to teach me. I was pretty much just told that I wasn’t “book material” :\ ( I should talk to my therapist about this one…) I (my brain) was left alone untill I was about 8th grad, an 1on 1 ESL teacher finally made me realized that I can learn too.
All I wanted for my son is the tool to pick up things with ease so he will be able to do more things he enjoy doing rather than stressing about all the other stuff that he has to do. Because I sure did waste a lot of time and I wish somebody would have teach me earlier.

Um… I think we’re at loggerheads. And I hear the sarcasm. No problem. Contempt without investigation, all that… Difference is that I can point to thousands of living, breathing, flourishing adult products of my particular parenting style. And research, and studies… you apparently can’t.

Please, though, if anyone can produce a single longterm scientific study from anywhere in the world that demonstrates the benefits of ‘teaching’ infants, I am open. Meantime, good luck with your science projects. Good luck to us all.

Well I think you are not listening to the fact that we can point out several people raised your method that are total failures. I think I pointed to a parent that raised her child your way. She is quite proud of the way she raised her child and I would say her child is a not a total failure but certainly not a success. The major point I would make is she cries regularly because he wants nothing to do with her except for money. She blames numerous things for her woes. But the reason is never the way she chose to educate her child and teaching him to be so independent.

I would say that parents have a different view of what determines a successful raising of a child. If you think having an independent child that wants nothing to do with their parents, then fine. I think a teaching method that has more nurturing and bonding is important. Not touching your child except when absolutely necessary sounds barbaric to me.

I would also agree with Nikitta. You are selecting for the child a toy that allows them to explore and learn. We select toys for our children so that they can explore and learn also. You just don’t see yourself as teaching. If you want to see kids that are not taught by their parents at all go to your local school and look for the total failures. I just can’t see where you think the data is on your side.

I will kindly invite you to read some of Doman’s book. I am sure you will have some answers there.
I am giving to my child all the opportunities for her to have a good education and I wish every child could have the same oportunity. My parents gave me the best education,quality of life, every opportunity to learn and explore and be happy. I want the best for my child.I have no complains!! I was a really lucky person.
You see evrybody was raised on different ways(even with difference sense of humor :happy: )but at the end we love our children and we look the best for them.
As a mother and as teacher I will love everychild in the world will have more opportunities in life to learn.

Yesterday a couple of friends came over for dinner with their lovely 16 months old daughter, my daugther(who is two years old)took her little friend to her bedroom to show her some flashcards. They spent over 40 minutes looking words and sharing them until We had to stop them, because it was dinner time. Like I said before My daughter has fun with letters, without me telling her TO DO SO.

I have only couple of questions for you dear mcdume.How did you GUIDE your children to learn to read? and at what age did they learn how to read?

Thanks so much! I will read Doman’s book. And, you should know, I have sent several friends/associates that lean more toward active teaching to this site. Everyone seems to have a very tempered approach, so who knows?

Thanks for the info the lively discussion. (I was going to write ‘thanks for teaching me a few things’, but thought better of it lol).

Good luck to us all!