Feeling down because my husband is not into early learning at all

I went through this with my hubby. His big concerns were “it’s a scam” and “how much is this going to cost me?” I fought for my kids, we went head to head, and he now agrees that it’s one argument he is thankful he lost. Occasionally, he jumps in with teaching but I take the lead role in selecting curriculum and implementing it. However, it is TOTALLY AWESOME to see him sit down with Lily and help her with some kindergarten workbook pages that she’s doing for fun. It’s happened a few times and I cherish each of those moments! He takes on a teaching role in ways that are foreign to me tho, and he takes the time to explain things depending on the concept. For example, he cooks with the kids all of the time and teaches them in the kitchen (which is soooo not my department. ;)) He really gets that they are sponges now and treats them accordingly, in his own way.

Now with LR, he a huge proponent and sells new dad’s at work on it! He’ll bring some of my flyers with him and tell them they need to do this with their kids. lol He says “You need to call my wife, she’ll tell you what to do!” I am way more toned down than he is, but he’ll tell anyone who will listen how amazing our kids are. He was the biggest skeptic and naysayer of them all in the beginning, and I worked with the kids when he wasn’t around. Even when the kids started choosing the “right” flashcards, he chalked it up to luck until it was obvious that it was way more than luck.

You are NOT alone, many parents have faced this. Forge ahead for your child’s sake and one day he will understand! However, never expect or pressure him to play teacher, he will step into that role if and when it ever feels natural. The most important ingredient of all is love, and it sounds like for being so concerned, he must have that down pat. <3

I sprung my hubby helping my son with his handwriting this morning while I was in the shower. My boy obviously decided it was time for “homework” got his book and and started. When he was stuck he asked daddy. AND DADDY HELPED!!! In all three kids this is the first time he hasn’t said something like go play with your cars/dolls! Maybe we finally have him swayed or are at least swaying to our side of the fence. :biggrin:
Some days it is disheartening. Many days I do it when he just isn’t around to see it. But not for one second do I think I have done the wrong thing by my kids. Keep going…maybe in three kids and 8 years your will have him convinced lol lol lol