Don't Bother -- Little Vent

Interesting thread :slight_smile:
I have a new acquaintance who speaks English/Russian/Mandarin besides her native language and has lived abroad most of her childhood. She makes her living teaching those languages to adults (now part time) BUT she would not consider teaching her only daughter (almost 3y.o. who she is home with) not to confuse her??? Then she makes comments at how developed my kids are :biggrin: :biggrin: I am trying to imply whyā€¦

Most people are conformists and wonā€™t use something until itā€™s endorsed by experts or by the herd. To condemn the whole human race for their conformism is kind of mean-spirited if you ask me. If you have to lay the blame for lack of uptake of these ideas anywhere, it goes to two places:

(1) The IAHP for never sponsoring or performing rigorous scientific studies of the efficacy of these methods. At least Titzer, as a Ph.D. scientist, knows the importance of such studies, and he tells me heā€™s pursuing such studies. Without such studies, the larger scientific community just wonā€™t pay any attention to this stuff. Those of you who are truly devoted to this and are, say, in school or thinking of going back to school, in educationā€“you could pursue this as a thesis, and do a world of good.

(2) In the U.S. at least, I would blame the education establishment and the intellectual elites generally, which are philosophically opposed to several underpinnings of these methodsā€¦to wit:

(a) Educationists will scream bloody murder if you call them on this, but when you examine their methods, standards, textbook selection, etc., you can see that their approach (in the U.S.) embodies an anti-knowledge stance. Their theorists dismiss the learning of substantial knowledge as ā€œrote memorizationā€ of ā€œmere facts,ā€ imply that traditional academic knowledge is of interest for only those who have a certain ā€œlearning style,ā€ and accuse those who want children to master a core curriculum of Western ethnocentrism or even ā€œracism.ā€ This is why Doman and YBCR has a much greater uptake in countries, like those of Eastern Europe and Asia (including so many of the lovely mommies on this forum), with a much stronger and more sincere love of learning.

(b) Americans have deeply ā€œromanticā€ (in the philosophical sense) notions about education. This is reflected when you find people saying that we should ā€œlet kids be kids,ā€ that ā€œplay is childrenā€™s work,ā€ that academic work and homework kills kidsā€™ spirits, and so forth. The historical source of this deeply problematic attitude is Rousseau (read his Emileā€“intellectual mothers should find it fascinating), the original advocate of unschooling. So, anything that would have kids learn anything that they do not find in their environment (especially that they cannot learn in a ā€œhands onā€ way) is regarded as ā€œartificialā€ and a probably insidious influence.

(c) Americans, again, are some of the most deeply committed egalitarians in the history of the world. Many of us (well, especially people on the Leftā€“but in some respects, those on the Right, too) are offended when we observe deep inequalities in conditions between people. For these egalitarians, any movement that would make people less equal is totally wrong-headed. I find people using what look to me like lame scientific arguments as cover-ups for their own personal abhorrence of ā€œdisgusting ambitionā€ on the part of pathetic parents. To them, we are merely using our children to pursue our lost ambitions at second-hand, or or make up for our personal shortcomings.

In short, at least in the U.S., we are a counter-culture, like it or not! If you always wanted to be in the mainstream, you are in the wrong place!

I have spent time instead deconstructing arguments on my blog instead of trying to convert the particular individuals on this Mommy forum. Disclaimer: I have affiliated with the product, but as everyone here knows it is a good decent product. I have also affiliated with Little Reader/Little Math but it is a harder sell because there is no infomercial (yet).

The most ridiculous comments to date:

1. I would never use a hothousing product like Your Baby Can Read. I just use starfall and leapfrog videos! (Who are you kidding maā€™am?)
  2. I showed my child one showing of Your Baby Can Read videos, and she forgot how to sound out words. This video un-did all my hard work, now I have to ā€œstart over.ā€ (This was a claim from a mother of a 2 year old. Not that two year olds canā€™t read, as shown on this forum, I just did not believe that this child could ever sound out words. She probably knew words by sight, and mimicked her mother when she showed her how to sound them out. This mother thought it was appropriate to teach babies phonics, but not sight words.)
  3. The same person that went on about how parents should not spend money on such products, suggested $60 Scholastic ā€œbig booksā€ in response to my insistence that not all children see well enough to read ordinary books before the age of 5 or 6.
  4. These parents that teach their children early mask my childā€™s true ā€œnaturalā€ genius lol People are so impressed that these other kids can read, but my child painstakingly worked out the phonetic code on her own while we were frolicking in the meadow with no readers, educational materials, or parental help. (sarcastic rendition)

I could go on and on. There are some characters out there, Iā€™m glad I do not know these folks IRL.

You also find a highly suspicious number of early readers (like ridiculously early) on the internet who spontaneously taught themselves with no help. There is a ā€œone upā€ culture who believes in exclusive child-led learning who makes borderline ridiculous claims about how their children taught themselves to read and other academic skills without help. I get it, these mothers have to present themselves as non-pushy and want their kids to be viewed as ā€œnaturalā€ genius in the meantime they are pretending away the flashcards and videos and other efforts they have put in.

I seem to find the lowest concentration of delusional people on this forum. Not that there is not the occasional posts that makes you go :confused: , but at least most people on this forum are not subscribed to some sort of ideology that does not allow them to see the possibilities.

DadDude,
Iā€™m in agreement with your entire post! Just to address point 2(a), my husband and I were looking through some more ā€œeliteā€ private school curriculums and I was really really disappointed at how ā€œsoftā€ they made it sound. It may have been marketing to parents who want to believe the school is fun, I donā€™t know. I want a program that calls for mastery of a core curriculum, just as you describe we have totally gotten away from that. I want to KNOW, that once my child completes grade 3, he will be able to complete 100 single digit multiplication problems in 5 minutes or less at 100%. And the 100% part is very important to me. I think many would consider me wrong for that, maybe pushy, maybe old fashioned, I donā€™t know. My parents didnā€™t have to worry about such things, they sent us to school and they did not waste our time doing ridiculous but exciting ā€œprojectsā€ where only 1 or 2 concepts are introduced, but none are mastered. ā€œIntegrated unitsā€ is what I think they called them. Well, I want my units to be segregated. lol

I say early learning is worth it. Iā€™d never change a thing except starting earlier if iā€™d known about it. Thank goodness for YBCR and their infomercial!

My son just turned 2. He isnā€™t reading 500 words, last I checked he could read 10 words 6 months ago but I havenā€™t tested or tried to see where heā€™s at since. Weā€™ve gone through stages of bringing out words and then putting them away for a few weeks because he doesnā€™t want to read them, etc. He can talk fairly well but still babbles a lot. 3 months ago I had him start going to a spanish immersion play group. 2 hrs a day, 5 days a week. This also helps me to get some work done at home since I am full time mommy and have a full time job at home. I wanted to take him to the next level in learning spanish, since heā€™s been listening to spanish music for a year and watching little pim, etc. He is now starting to say some words in Spanish, and I often wonder if his ā€œbabblingā€ is actually him mimicking or trying to use words from the other language.

Most people have been supportive of what Iā€™m doing, but occasionally I get the snide remark of ā€œwell, howā€™s his English coming along?ā€ in response to me telling them heā€™s learning to speak in spanishā€¦or my cute 3 yr old neice who didnā€™t know I was teaching him spanish, started giggling at his gibberish when he was little and said ā€œlook mommy! heā€™s speaking spanish!ā€ I had to laugh because, I really was teaching him Spanish even though thatā€™s not what he was doing lol. My other neice not to long ago asked how can you teach a child spanish, I asked her how does a baby learn English? she thought about it for a few minutes and said, well they learn it by having us talk to them. And I said, exactly! Thats how he is learning Spanish, by having someone talk to him in it. She thought that was really neat, although she did say it sounded like a lot of work. lol. I explained to her that these little ones are smarter than we think and they love to learn. Which is so true!

Anyway, My baby isnā€™t reading full books, and he canā€™t talk in full sentences in 2 languages yet, or even 1 language, but to me he is the most brilliant kid in the world and I couldnā€™t be more proud of him. My baby was over at his aunts house the other day and she had a visitor over who was an educator for special needs kids, she made the comment that she could just watch my child play for hours because he was so fascinating and intriguing. Sheā€™d never heard of early learning or that kids could learn words/alphabets this early. Of course her comments made my day and I was so excited that someone else could see it in him!

I think everyone I know knows that Iā€™m teaching my kid early. That said, only a few have asked to borrow my DVDā€™s and materials (and trust me I offer them to EVERYONE). But hopefully it will catch on soon. I think itā€™s wonderful and exciting! Good luck to you all!

Heidi

Yeah, my aunt has 4 children, the first 2 and last are as sweet as can be, and the 3rd is just inexplicable. She does things which you would not expect from a child, like seek revenge for an insult DAYS later. If you told her she could not have a lollipop when she asked, she would remember, and be sure to pour an entire bag of sugar into your pillow case for you to find later on. Being with her in the house for several days is kind of scary actually, you think she is going to do something to you in your sleep. I am not saying she is a psychopath, but I donā€™t hold her Mom responsible for her behavior, primarily because the other 3 are absolutely fine children. If she only had the one child though, everyone would think it was her motherā€™s fault, I really try not to judge.