Discussing Music Methods: Fixed/Movable Do, Note Color/IMages, etc

Tamsyn,
Our software is not just a learning tool, but also a digital device that provide most accurate measurements of skills’ development.
We have 2 numbers on the right and left corners of the screen that count precise amount of correct notes played and time delays that any players make. We also have different system embedded into the software to be able to switch from Do Re Mi to ABC. We even have some colors and fruits assigned to 7 notes of octave at the very beginning stage in some theory/ear training games.

I was collecting the data with kids of different age and music aptitude, with adults beginners and with kids with special needs. This data helped me to understand that our skills are going through the same stages of building and development, each individual has his/her own pace, BUT it also helped me to understand, what works better, faster and what’s not. I won’t write all the research here. I wrote many articles and book about it.

The bottom line is: our eyes built the way it built and teaching how to read music in a blind mode is not productive task.
Playing before reading, hand positions, method books, Suzuki tapes and parents’ engagements, Russian school of music with tons of hours of education simply CAN’T help all the population to read music score fluently like we read books.

When people enlarged each letter and placed the picture phonetically connected next to it, when they developed picture books, chapter books and novel formats for different readers, table turn around for literacy. They simply stopped to fight with the nature of human eye and now nobody can say: I am great writer or actor, but I can’t read. Nobody! But it happened a lot in the past.

Soft Mozart is exactly the same! Instead of trying to adjust human’s eye to ‘user unfriendly’ Grand Staff, we adjusted Grand Staff to human eye.

Unfortunately, this invention has a name and a patent unlike the invention of ABC. But yes, it is ONLY effective way for anybody to learn to read music and play piano.

Here is the video of a girl with cerebral paralysis, who develop her left hand. I feel like Soft Mozart was underestimated way too long and under appreciated, because millions of people still miss opportunity without the invention. This is why I come strong and want to get my point across.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wtl-EzdzFEo#!

PS
The goal of music education suppose to be music literacy. We lack listeners, we loose culture. Talented musicians learn despite, but they need educated audience to enjoy their talents.

Now I’m going to change my focus. Since the thread title has “Fixed/Movable Do” in it, I’m going to feel free to share more about why I have chosen “Movable Do”. Let me preface this by saying that fixed do works fine too, and that if you know little about music and are doing LMS and/or SoftMozart, with Fixed Do built in to the software, I’m not trying to talk you out of just using that.

Having said that, I’m doing LMS with my children, and will soon need to put in a lot of work to adapt it for Movable Do. It would have been much easier for me to just use Fixed Do. I shudder when I think that I almost didn’t buy LMS, thinking it would be incompatible with my desired approach. That would have been a costly mistake, as my children are thriving with it. Frankly, I’m now looking into SoftMozart again too, now that I know I could use letter-names and skip the fixed-do aspect of it. We’ll see if we can afford it early next year when we are out of debt. Anyway, it would have been much easier for me to just go with Fixed Do, so I did some “soul searching” and read everything I could on the topic. If you want a more exhaustive look at my reasoning, I refer you again to the post I did on the subject. http://www.teaching-children-music.com/2012/10/movable-do-vs-fixed-do.html. At the bottom, I referenced a few other articles I loved for further reading.

Allow me to summarize my perspective here.

For me, it’s not about whether I teach my children with Movable Do or Fixed Do as much as that we have a solid system for teaching absolute pitch and relative pitch. Have a quick look at this article, with his pictures: http://www.perfectpitch.com/perfectrelative.htm#Both. I’m not endorsing his product per-say, I haven’t used it, but I love this analogy. Perfect pitch (or at least a solid understanding of absolute pitch) is similar to seeing in color, and relative pitch is similar to seeing clearly. You need both to get the whole picture. His article doesn’t touch on solfege at all, which is valuable for my argument.

We may take for granted the acquisition of relative pitch, since this seems to be the skill more musicians develop, as well as the general populace, but it’s not a skill that a fairy godmother comes and bestows upon the musically inclined. It has to be learned, and especially in an early-learning environment where they have no past experience to draw from, I want to make sure that I teach it. I’ll illustrate this by sharing the story of a little girl (I can’t find the link) who had perfect pitch but not relative pitch. Look at these two examples,

“C,C,G,G,AA,AA,G, F,F,E,E,D,D,C”.
“D,D,A,A,B,B,A, G,G,F#,F#,E,E,D”.

Do they look similar to you? If you play them both on an piano, the first one is “Baa Baa Black Sheep”, and the second is the “ABC song”. This young girl was told that “Baa Baa” and “ABC” both had the same melody, isn’t that neat? She had learned one in the key of “C”, and the other in the key of “D”, and she adamantly contended that they were nothing alike. This girl had perfect pitch, but she had a poor understanding of relative pitch. Luckily for this 2-year-old, she had plenty of time to develop the skill. I only wish to point out that developing relative pitch isn’t a given, especially for an early learner.

Without digging too deep into music philosophy, theory, and pedagogy, I assert that it is vitally important for the musically literate child to develop both absolute and relative pitch. The question should not be “which one is more important?”, but rather, “How can I most effectively teach both?”

How then, do we teach each of these skills?

For Absolute pitch, the most common methods are:

• Letter names, such as C,E,G
  • Fixed Do (C is always Do)
  • Music notation on the staff (there are many musicians who read music and play, that don’t understand the “ABC” or “Do Re Mi”)

Little Musician uses all three, as does Soft Mozart.

For Relative pitch, the most common methods are:

• Movable Do
  • Numbering systems for the scale degrees
  • Complex theory references that describe function, such as “Tonic”, “Supertonic”, “Leading Tone”, and “Dominant”
  • Musical analysis of the scale, such as “whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step, whole step, half step”
  • Listening exercises
  • All too often, leaving this skill acquisition to chance, which often works for a singer, but rarely works for the instrumentalist.

Take a look at these lists, add too them as you will, it’s not exhaustive, and make sure that you have a good system in place for teaching both relative and absolute pitch. That’s the ultimate goal, the final destination if you will. Do you have a map?

My map looks like this (again, not exhaustive):

To teach absolute pitch, I am using “ABC”, and, obviously, music notation on the staff. These systems are precise, effective, and well integrated into my culture.

To teach relative pitch, I am using “Movable Do” and listening exercises for my beginning students, although I do have a plan for incorporating the others into their education later (all except leaving it up to chance!). Numbering systems work up to a point, but sight-singing numbers becomes very tricky when accidentals come into play, just as sight-singing with letter names becomes tricky for the same reason.

Sight-singing is easiest for the vocalist when solfege is used, whether you are in fixed or movable do. Enunciating “one, two, three, four, five, six, and sev” (seven is usually shortened for sight-singing purposes) is more difficult than “Do, Re, Mi, Fa, So, La, Ti”, and likewise, "A, B, C, D, E, F, G can also be tiring for the voice since they all rhyme with “ee” (not the most comfortable vowel), except for “F”, which ends in an unvoiced consonant. Solfege ends with a vowel, and the singer gets to sing different vowels, which is much easier for the voice. For this reason, I applaud the use of solfege, whether with fixed or movable do.

The instrumentalist can be precise on their instrument without having to stumble through awkward syllables. They see a “B-flat” on the staff, they play it, and can quickly move on to “A” without the stumbling block of having to sing “flat”. Letter names work well for the instrumentalist for establishing absolute pitch.

The vocalist can be precise with solfege, using movable “Do”, no matter what key they are in. It is easier for them to transpose “Twinkle Twinkle” into different keys while keeping the same syllables, “Do, Do, So, So, La, La, So”.

The tricky thing about using fixed do for the vocalist is the need to decide what to do with accidentals.

With movable do, the most common syllables will be 'Do, Re, Mi, Fa, So, La, and Ti", with “Fi” for “Fa-sharp”, and “Si” for “So-sharp” trailing close behind. The interval between “Mi” and “Fa” is always be a minor second, and “Ti” smoothly resolves into “Do”.

For the fixed do crowd, you can either make every “C”, whether it be “C#”, “Cb”, “Cbb”, “C##”, or just “C” be “Do.” The singer doesn’t have to switch around with “Di” and “Me”, but now now has to intuit what the accidentals are. “Mi” and “Fa” are not always a half step apart.

To compensate for this shortcoming, the “fixed do” musician may alter the syllables, as LMS does. “Mi” is always “E”, and “Me” is always “Eb”, and so on. This works to a point, especially as you stick with the easier keys of “C”, “F”, and “G”, but ultimately you need to branch out, and this alteration can become incredibly tricky for the vocalist.

The movable “do” singer will sing the A major scale, and the Ab major scale as follows: “Do, Re, Mi, Fa, So, La, Ti, Do”. The fixed “do” with altered chromatics singer will sing those scales as “La, Ti, Di, Re, Mi, Fi, Si, La”, and “Le, Te, Do, Ra, Me, Fa, So, Le”, respectively. That’s tricky. Likewise, playing those scales on the piano works well when you think in terms of “whole-step, whole step, half-step” etc, but it is very tricky for the sight-singer to analyze that process while simultaneously assigning the syllables “Le, Te, Do”. It’s much easier to teach and use “Do, Re, Mi”, having already established and internalized the intervallic relationship between each of these scale degrees. For the sight-singing user of Movable Do, “Do” to “Fa” is an effective short-cut for internalizing how a pitch relates harmonically to the music. In other words, “Do” is easier to sing than “Tonic”, and “So” is faster than “Dominant”. “Do-Mi-So” will always be a “I chord”, and “Fa-La-Do” will always be a “IV” chord.

Of course movable “Do” isn’t the cure all for music analysis, I’m not saying that it is. However, my reasons for using it are solid, and are not just based on my geography. I want “Movable Do” enough to put in a lot of work to adapt LMS semester 2 to help my children develop this skill, so it’s obviously not the path of least resistance for me. Life has been crazy lately, but I will soon be making those files to help me reach this goal and sharing them here on the forum, so if I’ve convinced anyone else to go this route, I’m here to help, and I’d love to have a little support group to work on this goal together, so let me know! If someone needs help with that now, it might motivate me to get those helping files done sooner, but right now I feel no rush since we’re only on lesson 50 of LMS.

I way typing that that while SoftMozart posted her comments.

I appreciate your perspective.

The goal of music education suppose to be music literacy. We lack listeners, we loose culture. Talented musicians learn despite, but they need educated audience to enjoy their talents.

I agree!!! :yes:

I agree that SoftMozart makes learning to read music easier for the eye, especially one that is trained to read from left to right. For the Chinese, who read up and down, I’m not convinced, but I haven’t done any research on this subject like you have.

We will have to agree to disagree about SoftMozart being the “ONLY effective way for anybody to learn to read music and play piano.” I didn’t use SoftMozart, and I am confident that I can read music and play the piano. I’m pretty sure there were a lot of musically literate musicians around before you developed your product too. Truly, I’m not trying to be cynical, but “only” is an absolute that is hard to prove. Even 2+2=4 isn’t true when you use in base 3. 8) In truth, I am very intrigued by your research, and I’ve spent a lot of time these last couple of days looking over what you have produced. I have a lot of respect for what you have done. In fact, if you argued that SoftMozart was “THE MOST EFFECTIVE” way, I might just venture to try and prove you right. :smiley:

Tamsyn,
I understand what is the main confusion better now! Here where I am coming from: I started my education in former USSR. We had and currently have state music schools that supported by our government. Parents pay some amount, but the rest is covered.

We have to go to music school for 7 years. There we have twice a week 45 minutes private lessons, 1 hour of Solfeggio ( ear training, music dictations, vocal sight-reading), 1 hour of music theory, 1 hour of music history, 1 hour choir and other subjects. If you take violin or trumpet or any other instrument, piano is a must from the 2nd grade.

Through all this training we ‘think’ in Solfegio with fixed ‘DO’. We never sing # or b, but assuming them by default. It is simply imprinted in our minds. We sight-reading by voice very advanced pieces with a lot of modulations and key changing, but training is making it so easy!

I hope, you ha a chance to see this video, where kids start singing Bach Musette in D major with all sharps from the very start:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-thPcTOzzNU&feature=plcp

We have to graduate 7 years of music school with honor to be a candidate for a music college. But there is always more candidates then places and you have to be better then your competitors. All for BA in music.

After that 5 years in conservatory, where you also have to win to enter, if you are straight A student.

All this strict and well developed structure has a great advantage in the world: we consider music as a science, where all subjects being presented in ways that had been approved by generations of masters.

Currently the world is turning against music education. Even in Russia I was witnessing ideas about losing music schools.
I afraid that if that would happen, musicology, solfeggio, harmony, music history and other subjects won’t survive and for it is like to see a beautiful castle in perfect shape is being ruined.

My goal was to safe the best traditions of Russian music school education and make them accessible for public schools. Technology helped me to make this happen and I see, how it can work.

Soft Mozart was called 'missing visual link in music education. We call our packages: Russian music school in a box.
We make Solfeggio training so effective and fun then results of our training now is superior then in music schools.

I almost asleep and trying to finish the most important idea: we have very good promotional packages for music teachers and all sorts of different ways to help and support them in future, If you will ever interested, please, drop me a line to hellene.hiner at softmozart.com

That video is super cute. :slight_smile:

Your music schools sound amazing. I wish I could have had a chance to go to a school like that. The state of music education in the public schools here in the United States is deplorable. Take, for example, how we have started regulating what kind of food can be sold in the cafeterias during school lunch. They aren’t supposed to sell pop in the lunch room during lunch hour, according to some goofy new law. Well, one school didn’t remove their pop machine, and were assessed a ridiculously heavy fine. The school bemoaned the fact that this fine would be coming straight out of the music and arts budget. Yes, that really happened, right here in Utah where I live. Music was cut because the school sold pop during school lunch. Reference: http://www.ijreview.com/2012/05/5800-utah-high-school-cuts-art-program-funds-after-15000-fine-for-selling-soda/ :tongue:

Anyway, OBVIOUSLY Russia has a better public music program to the United States, and more power to you.

I think we have a better understanding now, and I think you have also proved one of my points: If you have a country that uses solfege to name your notes, like Russia, where the local orchestra tunes to “La”, naturally movable do is a poor choice. In one of the threads I read about movable vs fixed, a French woman argued, “La” is “La”. Why move it around? That’s because, like you, with all of her training she was simply taught “La” in regards to a specific pitch. Why try to move it around all over the place? Movable “Do” should not even be considered for use in a country like Russia or France.

Take, on the other hand, an American like me, who their entire musical education was taught to think “A B C”. “A” is “A”. Our orchestras tune to “A”. We learn to identify “Middle C” on the piano at our first lessons. I was well prepared to be a music major at the university, and that was when I had my first exposure to ear training in solfege. I’m not the only music major for which this is the case. We “think” in “ABC” like you think in “Solfege with fixed Do”. Some families have a very rich musical culture, and this is still the case. My education prior to college doesn’t compare to a Russian music school, but it will do. I competed on a state level in voice, piano, and violin. I composed music in varying keys. I did a benefit piano concert to raise money for a new piano at the public school. I even taught piano lessons to some of my younger peers in my congregation. I played the organ at church as well. That’s a respectable amount of music education for a youth in my country. All of this with no more exposure to “Do Re Mi” than watching “The Sound of Music”.

So now, as I went to college, I received my training in Movable “Do”, and found a fantastic ADDITIONAL tool, to better teach relative pitch! Yes, I did have a good sense of relative pitch before, through constant exposure to different keys. I had transposed pieces before. I had modulated pieces music on paper. I played all 12 scales on the piano. I knew the patterns of whole steps and half steps for major and minor scales, and was familiar with modes. In short, I had a good sense of relative pitch. But it came through a lot of exposure and practice, and it wasn’t taught in the early years of music, like “CDE” was. So, from that perspective, Movable “Do” is, for me, a tool I can use to teach my children relative pitch from the start. It’s a tool I never had growing up, but it really seems to be helping my daughter. She’s getting it. She adores math/music questions like "If “Do” is on “C”, where is “Re”? She instantly knows the answer for everything in “C”, and is branching out. With the help of the piano and the movable “Do” piano insert we use, she can figure out the rest on her own, although she still mixes up the spelling of black notes. She knows that no matter what color middle “C” is, that it’s middle “C” with a specific geographical location on the piano. She relates color only to scale degrees. My five-year-old is picking it up too, and since he loves math, the math/music questions are really helping him. Even my husband is enjoying the challenge! He sets a good example for his children. :biggrin:

In Russia and America, an exercise like children singing the Bach Musette as your video shows would be just as effective, and would serve the same pedagogic purposes.

Putting all of that debate aside, I wish to recognize that, while this discussion has mostly been between SoftMozart and myself, I know that there are a lot of other people tuning in to see what we have to say on the matter. Many of them are intimidated by the idea of teaching their children music, and are finding tools like Little Musician and Soft Mozart (indeed, a “Russian Music School in a box”) to be a life saver. Even for musicians like me, this is the case because I still have a house to run! High praise is deserved to programs that make a superb music education available to young children. Fixed do is really just fine, and the idea of changing LMS to teach relative pitch is just not in the cards for them. What is your advice to these parents for teaching relative pitch? Do you use a numbering system for scale degrees? Something else? What was your approach to teaching Rachel to transpose the Musette into, for example, the key of “So”/“G”.?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WzmKrw0_NwQ

She did it using Soft Mozart. She’s only 3. Yep, there’s something very right about your program. :yes: I would love to hear what your approach is for teaching relative pitch.

Hi, Tamsyn,

Yesterday I was half asleep and wrote on auto-pilot :laugh: Thank you for understanding me, though.

Let’s think outside the box now. Music education is in a very big hole now. I was reading about the public school and it made me again very anxious. Unfortunately, this crisis of music education is not local. Recently I talked to Yuri Rozum, renowned pianist, who was invited by our government to answer the question: do we really need music schools or it is time to close most of them and have just several for talented kids. If it would happen, it will be a tragedy not just for Russian kids. but for music as the language and science. I am telling this not because I am Russian American, but because I am musicologist and I consider the Russian Music School experience in teaching music very valuable. I also think that if we will keep cutting roots, we’ll end up with impoverish society.

Even at the end of 20th century the situation was much better and more promising. Even pop and rock music was trying to reach high standards. There was sympho-rock, rock-operas, Pink Floyd, Beatles. Now, when our digital recordings, Internet, You tube, tablets can be turned on any time, large population turn primitive tunes on. I know many famous pianists, who has to play 2-3 times more concerts now to make the same living, because concert halls are not halls any longer. Mostly they are just small rooms.

Our kids, without true music literacy, can’t comprehend advanced forms of music simply because they were not properly trained to do so. And by proper training I mean ‘hand on’ experience. Driver always remember the road better then a passenger.

I also found it very sad that when our prodigies play piano, no one is listening and getting excited. I always see pianists playing while people walking, eating, drinking… How such ‘listeners’ can understand value of such a player, if illiterate? There is a rule of thumb in life: you won’t cry for something that you never had on the first place.

Once I had a contract with private Montessori school and turned lessons ABOUT music to group piano lessons. We fund raised a good acoustic piano and about 30 keyboards. I didn’t have software yet and made music books (btw placing pictures of Door Rain Mirror etc under the notes and on the keys). It was AMAZING how these piano lessons changed the kids and their appreciation for arts alone with their creativity.

We played Hanon and Chromatic scales with metronome and timer! :laugh: Kids LOVED to listen to each other performances. Twice a year we had recitals. You won’t believe, but even 2-3 year old kids were sitting quietly through entire concert!

Once before Christmas one very talented boy learned March from Nutcracker (he was also taking private lessons with me). Instead of going outside to play kids gathered around him and listen to his performance. I saw their eyes! Every time, when I am too tired to carry on, I remember these eyes of my students! There was no envy, but excitement and desire to learn more. Needless to say that this boy learned the entire Nutcracker suite in couple of weeks!

Since then I understood that SUCH lessons really CAN turn around our society, when all kids will have the ability to play piano as starting point of education and read music from 24 months.

Maybe, I was born with this mission, who knows :tongue: Maybe, I had to be born in Russia to receive Russian music education and to move to USA to be able to create software curriculum to finally get it to public schools. But my weakest point is… English and lack of good manners. :confused:

I am gathering music/piano teachers, parents, educators, everybody, who cares about music education. I founded a company called Music Vision International and hope to bring real music education to public school. I invite you and other teachers to join and help me with this mission. Together we can make some changes.

BTW, on this video you may see the class of my students from that Montessori school. We play Canon in D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DIH9npACNUw

PS
Rachel and method… It is hard to explain it in few words We play tons of piano pieces, playing ear training/theory games, find chords for melodies in different keys, writing music dictations and sing Solfeggio with every piece we play. There is also Note Alphabet that kids have to recite as fast as possible (requirement for 1st Level graduates):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZrXBQuozmQE

Your video was very inspiring- I’ll be sharing it! I’m feeling very ashamed that a couple of days ago I was so keen on winning a debate with you, and I was too proud. My husband is more cool headed than I am, and now I can see that I needed to first pull the beam out of my own eye, so to speak. You are an amazing person, Hellene. (By the way, my first name is Helen, and that’s my 3-year-old’s name too. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the video with Rachel about relative pitch.

If I do Soft Mozart with my kids, are there images to represent letter names? I saw a few butterflies, which is why I ask. Could I use Soft Mozart without using the fixed Do aspect of it? I’m thinking I could, but I wonder if you have students who use it that way, or what kind of road blocks I would encounter.

P.S. Don’t we all love the newroom’s heading, “Pushing kids too far to fast?” :tongue: It was such an inspirational story otherwise, but we wouldn’t want to encourage parents to teach their children, now would we? :rolleyes:

Tamsyn, don’t blame yourself! It is ‘lost in translation’ situation. Since English is my third language, I am writing by blindly translating from Russian most of the time. I am told by my team that I have enough representatives already to communicate with English speaking community, but I also want to learn how to and I am trying. Hope to be better in communication and believe that our life is given to us for learning and improving.

Thanks for the video with Rachel about relative pitch.

You are welcome! Rachel is our brillkids baby and life is so beautiful and surprising thing! I met Pei Lin (Rachel’s mom) at a time, when (due to my miscommunication) I was banned from this forum. Pei Lin than lived in Houston and Rachel was a tiny baby. It was very comforting for me to meet with them and to handle Pei Lin my program. After the initial meeting I was even more happy to learn that this ‘seed’ was not planted in a dry soil. When Rachel came to receive classes she started to develop very fast, because apparently Pei Lin was exposing her to the software just the way I taught her! The results are amazing even for me!

If I do Soft Mozart with my kids, are there images to represent letter names?

Yes! If you press A on computer, all the names in the games and piano pieces will be Alphabetical. Letter ‘I’ - everything will be switched to icons (Solfeggio)

I saw a few butterflies, which is why I ask.

Butterfly is a character in the game that shows that the note played correctly and have to be changed for the next. It also shows, where the finger(s) of player.

Could I use Soft Mozart without using the fixed Do aspect of it?

Soft Mozart just a tool and you can use it any way that you thing most effective for your students.
[/quote]

I'm thinking I could, but I wonder if you have students who use it that way, or what kind of road blocks I would encounter.

Yes, I do! Many students from Germany, Canada, USA, China use ABC system.

You may try to download our Demo (Ode to Joy) from TRY NOW page. There also popular NOTE DURATION game: https://softmozart.com/teaching/how-to-get-started/try-it-for-yourself.html

But the most important thing is: we have many ways to help and support music teachers, we give away scholarships, discounts for them. We also support learners. Our ‘business’ model is close to Academy that supports teachers and good students.

Many teachers afraid that if their students will buy our program, they will loose their business. It is not true! Every person, when learn something successfully, wants to learn more. The software teaches to play notes. But to make music is a privilege of teacher. This is why we created Forum and network for some learners, who has no Soft Mozart teachers. They are getting helped on line.

Overall, it is really fun, bright and multilingual community. Kids having on line recital and getting motivation to lean more pieces. By watching this flourishing, I have my hopes up to see it spreading and growing as global community.

Thank you again. You’ll probably be seeing me over on your forum in the near future. :wink:

I think I get what you are talking about with the eye-focus now. This video did a great job explaining it to me. The illustration with the keyboard with the arrows showing what the eye has to do when they first start music was especially helpful. I just had to dig a little deeper…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bUeNO6U7tI&feature=relmfu

This has been an interesting discussion. I hope I don’t derail it, but I wanted to post specifically on the topic of “Moveable Do” and I think this is the place to do it.

I bought Tamsyn’s Solfege Train and just started reading her explanation of Moveable Do the other day. I am one of those piano students whose only exposure to Solfege was The Sound of Music. I only learned a little theory and remember hardly any of it, and I can only play basic songs. But I enjoy piano and want my kids to play too.

So, after reading about Moveable Do, I sat down to calm my 3 month old down by playing the piano with her on my lap. When my older daughter was born, I learned the Solfege note names in the Fixed Do system: C=Do, etc. But I never learned the sharps and flats and my book of children’s songs is mostly not in C major, so I gave up singing in Solfege. The day I read about Moveable Do, the piano book was open to “Clementine,” in F major. Since I could only play the melody line while holding a baby, I tried to sing along with F as Do. It was pretty easy. After singing it one time, I moved my hand and tried to play it with C as Do. I did it! There were some pauses and fumbles, but I did transpose a piece of music! I never thought I would be able to transpose. This blew me away.

So for those of you in the US, where we have letter names for the notes which give most of the benefits of the fixed Do system, try out moveable Do. That was so cool. It gave me an ability, in about fifteen minutes, that I never would have thought possible. Tamsyn, I really hope you will share your moveable Do LMs files. We’re only on Day 12, so there’s no rush, but I would love to teach this to my daughter.

Tamsyn, you are amazing!

Thank you for sharing your story, Wolfwind! I’m so excited that you were able to have that experience. :slight_smile:
I will definitely be sharing my movable Do LMS files. When I finally make them that is. lol. We’re on lesson 60, so the countdown has started to when I will really be needing them. It’s going to take a lot of work to get it set up, but once I have the basic files in place, it will be really easy to change the lessons around. It would be nice if I could get them done sooner than later though, because we sing the nursery rhymes in the “Play and Edit” section, and are limited to the ones in C major, for the time being.

What I need to do is make an icon set for F and G major particularly. I need to record new sound files, one for letter names, and then again for solfege F and G. It’s not that hard, I’ve just been busy. Once the icon sets and sound files are in place, I’ll just need to manually change each lesson by editing which icon and sound file is used. Sooner would be better than later…
I’m excited to have another member to do movable do with. I also can’t wait to meet you in person soon. :yes: