Differences in the English Language - American English + British English

I think year 11 used to be leaving, year 12 matriculation when my mum was at school.

Aust…skipping… US jump rope
dressing-gown … bath robe

rockmelon … cantelope (I use both)

I almost feel I’m talking to myself I reply to myself so much in this topic, but here goes again…

Australia…bottom US…fanny
US…fanny Aust…vagina (can u imagine how hilarious it is for Aussies to hear US people talking about patting people on their fannies?)

Aust handbag… US purse (the purse to an aussie is the thing with money in it that goes in the handbag…the wallet…but only men have wallets)

Aust…lollies, sweets US…candy
Aust fairy floss US cotton candy
Aust…ute or utility US…pick-up truck
Aust…tap US…faucet
Aust…doctor or GP (general practicioner) US…physician
Aust…pharmacy or chemists US…drug store
Aust…milk bar US general or corner store NZ…dairy
Most places…rectangle some places…oblong
Aust…icy pole UK…popsicle other places…ice lolly (frozen cordial ice water on a stick)
Aust…petrol US…gas (gasolene)
Aust gas (LPG)… US…???
Aust…car (everything is “car”) US…car, vehicle, automobile
Aust…sandpit…US sandbox
Aust…couch US…sofa
Aust…lounge-room US…living room

OMG, I didn’t know about fanny, and this is the first time I’ve ever heard about what it means in Australia! :blink:

[now what in the world will the Aussies think when we talk about “fanny packs”?!? Hahaha! lol]

Thanks for the input Nikita, do keep them coming! I think I speak for everyone that we’re learning a lot of new things in this thread! :happy:

Oh, and one more thing to add:
Aust…pharmacy or chemists
US…drug store
HK…I’ve seen that most of the local drug stores are called Pharmacies or Dispensaries :tongue2:

lol
I knew the Australian/UK version of fanny, but never heard it said by Americans before.

Yes, Nikita, what a great job you are doing - karma for you!

we say butt…or another word…
blushing lol

aust…bum bags US…fanny packs (we can figure out what you’re talking about!)

aust…footpath US…sidewalk

Because english is my second language, I was really interested to know which english we use here (the Middle East in general)… and it turns out it’s a mix of US and UK english :wink:

We have a more of an American accent (those who don’t have an Arabic accent that is :biggrin:) but the vocab is a definite mix ! I guess the vocab goes back to the English colonisation and the accent to Hollywood ! :smiley:

Yeah, even with previous British colonies, it’s hard to escape the American influence with all those US TV series and Hollywood movies!

Aust taxi, US…cab I think the actual word is taxicab, just like pram is really perambulator…

A few more to fill out the list…

US cotton candy UK candy floss
US jello UK jelly Aust ???
US sofa UK settee Aust couch
US living room UK sitting room Aust lounge room

In the UK we have jam which is a preserve made with fruit and sugar - it has bits in - but if it has been strained and then put in jars (jam jars) then we call it jelly. What is the name for these in US /Aust? is it the same? We have ‘bread and jam’ though in Scotland in some areas they call that a ‘Jeely piece’, or a ‘piece and jam’ lol

In the UK a familiar term for another person may be ‘dear’ ‘love’ ‘darling’ ‘chuck’ ‘ducks’ ‘hen’ ‘flower’ ‘my handsome’ (male) - they seem to vary depending on the area of the UK (these are just a few examples that spring to mind - there are many more) lol

It seems to me that on the whole the Australian words seem more like ours in the UK

yes, in America jam and jelly are the same as you described. At least that’s how they’re packaged. Everyone I know just says jelly.

aust jam for stuff in jars to spread on bread, jelly is wobbly gelatinous stuff

spelling… check and checkerboard US
cheque chequerboard …

Aust… true…is… fair dinkum

Aust…porch/verandah US/UK patio
Aust…aeroplane US…airplane
Aust…fan US…ventilator
Aust…wardrobe US…closet
Aust…postage US…shipping
Aust…chest of drawers US or UK…bureau
Aust…barracking US…rooting

Spelling…Aust…pyjamas, tyre, centre
US…pajamas, tire, centre

Aust… tomato sauce US…ketchup UK…catsup

Wow this thread is great. Cant wait for the list.
I live and work in Japan which teaches American English. But I was born and then grew up in South Africa and then Australia.
Thanks Nikita for making me home sick lol
Seriously this is great and I am going to rack my brain for some more

US period AUST full stop

Aus servo/ service station
South Africa petrol station/ garage
US ???

US gas station/ garage

UK - garage/filling station/petrol station/motorway services (fuel, food,etc)

UK - tomato sauce or ketchup
UK - bureau often refers to a ‘writing desk’ - for clothes we call it a chest of drawers
UK - patio is usually a flat paved area outside the house for seating, BBQ etc.
UK - Veranda is covered (roof) and has sidewalls.
UK - full stop - also period.
UK - Porch is usually joined to the house outside the front / back door. Can be open at the front or closed in.

spelling:- tyre - pyjamas - centre - programme - also program (computing )

My Favourite is this one,

My mum worked for an American company called Boston Scientific and she had an American boss around the time I was doing year 12 (senior year) Anyhoo to cut a long story short he said he was rooting for me and my mouth dropped he asked me what he had said. i explained that in Australia Root = intercourse (sex). Looking very embarressed he explained that Root in US meant cheering. :blush: HAHAHAHAHAHA You could imagine the looks from all the Australians at the dinner table when he said that luckily it was all explained.