Afterschooling in a higher level

Blingmama,

Reading - teaching a 5 year old is frustrating. That is one of the benefits of doing it early. You get to keep your hair color. However, daddude started readingbear.org and that will save you lots of grief. You are not going to make her sound out words and I would start from the beginning. and when she knows the words quickly move on to the next presentation. Easy peasy, no tears. She won’t need to guess. After a couple weeks to a month she’ll be doing great. Unless there is a skill set missing and then we can talk about that later.

Math - there is a thread on teaching toddlers math http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-math/math-curriculum-for-toddlers/ It has a ton of information. I would also recommend getting the teachers editions of Jump Math, they are free and you can log into their site to get them, but I have all of 1st grade here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/60668524/Jump%20MathTeacher.zip You do not need to get the program, but the books teach you how to teach math. If she is not “getting it” one way, it will give you 10 other ways to come at it. The program starts at the VERY beginning. I am using it with toddlers.

The other thing I’ve come across recently is Eclectic Education’s Manual of Methods http://archive.org/details/eclecticmanualof00stew. What I like about it is that it is really Jump Math 150 years ago. It will explain the problems with understanding a child has and how to overcome it. It goes with Ray’s Arithmetic but that doesn’t mean you have to use it with that. Then I would recommend playing lots of games. Games that require counting and keeping score. Games where you can compare more and less. Games that you have to use more than one dice.

Dealing with subtraction: get her to count backwards: Use a 100 number chart and start and 10. Then 15. and what ever number you pick. Then when moving to things like 10 grapes - 5 grapes…she can just count backward 5. Subtraction is just counting backwards she will think it no big deal if she counts backwards A LOT. Also skip counting forward and backward now will help with division later. Solves many issues before they come up. :yes:

The jump math pdf isn’t working. Where can you find it? I’m curios too.

let me check it and repost…it should be a zip file with lots of PDF’s

EDIT: Try again. It should open up a window for you to save it to your computer. Then you need to unzip it. You will see all the files. Each section of the teacher’s manual is a separate file. The link goes to my dropbox, so it is safe.

If you have more trouble with it, let me know and I’ll try to fix it.

I finally figured it out. I was just clinking on the link and it would appear on the bottom of my screen as a zip. It said that there was no program to open it in and I tried pdf but it still didn’t work. I just had to put the link in another browser duh.

you can right click and extract also…

I did not read the whole thread, however, we also afterschool (if that’s what you call it) as well. We homeschooled with many subjects for years, starting from infants. We also planned to homeschool for at least elementary. We moved when my eldest daughter was 4 and found a great Montessori Charter school. We are happy with the decision we to send her to this school. Montessori allows her to move ahead or stay on a subject as long as she feels. Even though she is ahead in many areas she enjoys her class time very much! Seeing as how I have been majorly involved in my children’s education since before school, I am the kind of mom to leave their education up to the teacher. We cover the subjects that will be taught in class, as well as keep progressing with the subjects she is ahead in. We also take time on things the class does not in Kindergarten. Such as more history, more geography, different art, more music.

All parents are decided, what field his/ her child go on. So after schooling concentrate our child goal, help to grow up in this field and encourage to do hard word to get our aims but don’t give frustration.