Advice Re 3+-Year-Old, Possibly Autistic

Hello,

Tatianna, thank you very much for all the info!

You mentioned vaccinations, quite interestingly, my daughter did not have any reaction whatsoever to any of her vaccinations EXCEPT the very first one the was given. She was only 2 weeks and the medicals insisted she got a BCG injection. It is only given to babies if they happen to live in areas with many potential cases of TB. As a first-time mum, I did everything by the book and took her for the injection. Prior to it she was literally a text-book-baby and she was taking on breast milk fine. The same day her stool (pardon me these details) became loose and gave her a lot of discomfort. This continued for the next 8 weeks till I had to switch to formula milk (for a number of other reasons). The very same day she settled and we never had any digestive problems ever again.

Well, this vaccine does not have any mercury in it. But she did seem to have a strong reaction to it and she did not have any reaction to all the rest she had including the MMR. She also is not the case when a perfectly developing child suddenly looses speech and becomes autistic. It was more of a gradual and subtle development, like in some areas she was developing at a slower and slower rate. So it just makes me wonder how many more things out there that we expose our children to without even realising?

Tatiana:
i’m wondering where you got your information? you didn’t site any articles in your post. that is damming stuff and i would love to dig deeper and would like to know where this information came from as a place to start.
thanks for the great info!
the doc :clown:

for information on msg i here are just a very small sample of the sites available

articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/.../dangers-of-msg.aspx -

www.truthinlabeling.org

www.rense.com/general52/msg.htm -

www.becomehealthynow.com/article/dietbad/32/

www.natural-health-restored.com/dangers-of-msg.html

for the autism link check out some of these sites

www.msgtruth.org/autism.htm

www.ageofautism.com

www.msgmyth.com/adhd.htm

www.stayinformed.info/about/aboutmsg.htm

hope this helps

for everything autism please check out Generation Rescue it’s a wealth of information

here are some tips about vaccines should you decide to use them (i didn’t)
Consider delaying vaccines until your child is 18-24 months old.
Do not vaccinate if your child is taking antibiotics.
Consider no more than one vaccine per doctor’s visit.
If you plan to get the MMR vaccine, ask your doctor to give it in three separate vaccines for measles, mumps and rubella.
Consider giving high doses of Vitamin C (3,000-5,000 mg per day) on the day before, of, and after vaccination.
If your child experiences any developmental delays, stop vaccinating until you learn more.
With the measles vaccine (MMR), consider high doses of Vitamin A (5,000 IU or more) on the day before, of, and after vaccination.
If your child has an adverse reaction to a vaccine, stop vaccinating until you learn more.
Always ask to see the vaccine insert, and never accept a vaccine that uses the preservative Thimerosal (mercury). For a complete list of vaccines with Thimerosal, see the FDA’s website here. Note: most flu shots today still contain Thimerosal.

and please read
A User-Friendly Vaccination Schedule and Mercury on the Mind
articles by Donald W. Miller, Jr., MD

New knowledge in neuroimmunology (the study of how the brain’s immune system works) raises serious questions about the wisdom of injecting vaccines in children less than two years of age.

The brain has its own specialized immune system, separate from that of the rest of the body. When a person is vaccinated, its specialized immune cells, the microglia, become activated (the blood-brain barrier notwithstanding). Multiple vaccinations spaced close together over-stimulate the microglia, causing them to release a variety of toxic elements – cytokines, chemokines, excitotoxins, proteases, complement, free radicals – that damage brain cells and their synaptic connections. Researchers call the damage caused by these toxic substances “bystander injury.”

There were 482,000 cases of measles in the U.S in 1962, the year before a vaccine for this disease became available. Now, with all fifty states requiring that children be vaccinated against measles in order to attend school, there were only 56 cases of measles in a population of 290 million people in 2003.

These facts are well known and proudly cited by vaccine proponents. What is less known, and doctors are not taught, is that the death rate for measles declined 97.7 percent during the first 60 years of the 20th century. The mortality rate was 133 deaths per million people in the U.S. in 1900, and had dropped to 0.3 deaths per million by 1960. Measles caused less than 100 deaths a year in the U.S. before there was a vaccine for this disease (in 1963). The same thing happened with diphtheria and pertussis. Mortality rates dropped more than 90 percent in the early 20th century before vaccines for these diseases were introduced. This was due to better nutrition (with rapid delivery of fresh fruit and vegetables to cities and refrigeration), cleaner water, and improved sanitation (removing trash from the streets and better sewage systems), not to vaccines. The World Health Organization promotes mass vaccination, but knowing these facts states, “The best vaccine against common infectious diseases is an adequate diet” – fortified, one might add, with vitamin A.

Since the measles vaccine came into widespread use in this country this disease has virtually disappeared, and it has prevented 100 deaths a year. But now, instead, several thousand normally developing children become autistic after receiving their MMR shot. Termed “regressive autism,” it accounts for about 30 percent of the 10,000 to 20,000 children who are diagnosed with autism in this country each year.

Investigators have found, for example, live measles virus in the cerebral spinal fluid in children who become autistic after MMR vaccination. Antibodies to measles virus are elevated in children with autism but not in normal kids, suggesting that virus-induced autoimmunity may play a causal role. A study published in Neurology this year implicates hepatitis B vaccine as a causative factor in multiple sclerosis.

One consideration, which vaccine proponents do not address, is this: Could contracting childhood diseases like measles, mumps, rubella, and chickenpox play a constructive role in the maturation of a person’s immune system? Or, to put it another way, does removing natural infection from human experience have any adverse consequences?

Our species’ immune system – a one-trillion-cell army that patrols our (100-trillion-cell) body – serves two main purposes. It destroys foreign invaders – viruses, bacteria, and other pathogens. And it destroys aberrant cells in the body that run amuck and cause cancer. Behind the barricades of skin and mucosa, our innate immune system (composed of phagocytes, natural killer cells, and the 20-protein complement system), which all animals have, is the body’s first line of defense. It reacts to invaders lightening fast and indiscriminately, but it is not very good at eliminating viruses and cancerous cells. Vertebrates have evolved a second line of defense – the adaptive immune system. It targets specific viruses and bacteria and has better artillery for eliminating cancerous cells. This system matures during childhood, and it has a cellular (Th1) and humoral (Th2) component (Th = helper T cell).

The viruses that cause measles, mumps, and chickenpox have infected countless generations of humans, akin to a rite of passage for each member of our species. Contracting these diseases strengthens both parts of the adaptive immune system (Th1 and Th2 ). Mothers who have had measles, mumps, and chickenpox transfer antibodies against them to their babies in utero, which protect them during the first year of life from contracting these infections. Vaccinations do not have the same effect on the immune system as naturally acquired diseases do. They stimulate predominantly the Th2 part of this system and not Th1. (Over-stimulation of Th2 causes autoimmune diseases.) The cellular Th1 side thwarts cancer, and if it does not become fully developed in childhood a person can be more prone to have cancer as an adult. Women who had mumps during childhood, for example, are found to be less likely to have ovarian cancer than women who did not have this infection. (This study was published in Cancer.) Could the fact that cancer has become a leading cause of death in children be a result of vaccinations? Only a randomized controlled trial can conclusively answer this question

With rare exception, a well-nourished child who contracts measles will recover smoothly from the infection. Fifty years ago almost all children in the U.S. had measles. And after contracting this disease, one has life-long immunity to it. The protection provided by vaccination is temporary. Adults who contract measles (when the protective effects of the vaccine wears off) are much more likely to have neurological, testicular, and ovarian complications. Likewise, rubella is a benign disease in children, but if a woman acquires it during pregnancy fetal malformations may develop. One can argue, heretical as such an argument may be, that it would be better to let children have measles, at an age when the infection helps the adaptive immune system mature in a balanced Th1/Th2 fashion and complications from this disease are minimal, rather than vaccinate them against this disease (especially considering the risks of vaccination).

http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/mercury-chart1.jpg

The amount of damage a given dose of mercury can do to the brain (and also the heart) depends on one’s age, sex, and genetically determined ability to excrete mercury. Young children with still developing brains are more susceptible, and males are more vulnerable to a given dose of mercury because testosterone enhances its neurotoxicity. Most important, however, is one’s genetically programmed ability to rid the body of mercury. The brain has a house-cleaning protein that removes dangerous waste products, which comes in three varieties: APO-E2, APO-E3, and APO-E4. The APO-E2 protein can carry 2 atoms of mercury out of the brain; APO-3, one; and AOP-E4, none. The genes we acquire from each parent determine which two we have. People with two APO-E4 proteins (and thus no APO-E2 or -E3) have an 80 percent chance of acquiring Alzheimer’s disease. And according to one study, autistic children have a huge preponderance of APO-E4 protein in their brains.

The mercury in flu vaccines also plays a role in this disease. One investigator has found that people who received the flu vaccine each year for 3 to 5 years had a ten-fold greater chance of developing Alzheimer’s disease than people who had zero, 1, or 2 shots.

Another important factor with regard to mercury on the mind, which officials at the CDC, FDA and the professors in the IOM do not consider, is synergistic toxicity – mercury’s enhanced effect when other poisons are present. A small dose of mercury that kills 1 in 100 rats and a dose of aluminum that will kill 1 in 100 rats, when combined have a striking effect: all the rats die. Doses of mercury that have a 1 percent mortality will have a 100 percent mortality rate if some aluminum is there. Vaccines contain aluminum.

Each new truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. And third, it is accepted as self-evident. The mercury truth is now in the second stage.

Wow, Tatianna, that’s a lot food for thought! Thank you so much.

I mentioned in my previous post, my daughter did not have any reactions to any of her vaccinations, not even a slight increase in temperature, except the BCG. She is now due for her booster injections and I am being bombarded by my medical practice with calls and letters to remind me of it. With her being developmentally delayed, I have to think about it very carefully. I do appreciate all the links and info.

Folks might want to bear in mind that lewrockwell.com (where the most recent mercury chart appeared) is a political site. I would want to go to reputable sites managed by physicians/medical researchers for information on these issues. Also, please, please, whenever you quote something, please grab the URL you got it from, too, and post it just below or above the text.

I don’t personnal believe that it’s completely the mercury that causes problems because there is no mercury in Canadian vaccines except the flu shot and there is still lots of autism. However I think it’s the fact we are over loading our little ones bodies with too many vaccines at once at such a young age. Anyhow my option.

thanks DadDude for pointing that out
it is a political site (not one i read) karma to you for checking it out
but they were simply posting a article by Dr Donald W. Miller, Jr., MD Professor of Surgery at the University of Washington
one which is posted on many sites
it was simply the first site that came up when i googled the paper

this is the information for Dr Donald W. Miller, Jr., MD
who i would have to say is very reputable
(this information was found on ProCon.org)
Involvement and Affiliations:
Staff Cardiac Surgeon, University of Washington Medical Center, 2003-present
Professor of Surgery, University of Washington, 2003-present
Member: Doctors for Disaster Preparedness, American Association of Thoracic Surgery, Western Thoracic Surgical Society, American College of Surgeons, and Seattle Surgical Society
Cardiac Surgeon, Swedish Heart Institute, Swedish Medical Center (Seattle, WA), 1997-2003
Medical Director, Swedish Heart Institute, Swedish Medical Center, 1994-1997
University of Washington, Clinical Associate Professor, 1980-2003
Chief, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, 1978-1980
Associate Professor, University of Washington, 1978-1980
Assistant Professor, University of Washington, 1975-1978

Education:
MD, Harvard Medical School, 1965
BMS, Dartmouth Medical School, 1963
AB, Dartmouth College, 1962

i agree with you waterdreamer about the mercury
don’t think we will know for sure what causes autism until a lot more studies have been done
it is my hope that governments will stop allowing science to be corrupted and children to be hurt
to get to the bottom of this we need a lot more unbiased research

this is what is found in many American vaccines which is why i’m choosing not to vaccinate till my girls are older
Mercury (thimerosal)
One of the most poisonous substances known. Has an affinity for the brain, gut, liver, bone marrow and kidneys. Minute amounts can cause nerve damage. Symptoms of mercury toxicity are similar to those of autism.

Ammonium Sulfate (salt)
Suspected gastrointestinal, liver, nerve, and respiratory system poison.

Beta-propiolactone
Known to cause cancer. Suspected gastrointestinal, liver, respiratory, skin, and sense organ poison.

Genetically modified yeast, animal, bacterial, and viral DNA
Can be incorporated into the recipient’s DNA and cause unknown genetic mutations.

Latex rubber
Can cause life-threatening allergic reactions.

Monosodium glutamate (MSG)/glutamate/glutamic acid
Being studied for mutagenic, teratogenic (developmental malformation and monstrosities) and reproductive effects. A neurotoxin. Allergic reactions can range from mild to severe.

Aluminum
Implicated as a cause of brain damage; suspected factor in Alzheimer’s Disease, dementia, seizures, and comas. Allergic reactions can occur on skin.

Formaldehyde (formalin)
Major constituent of embalming fluid; poisonous if ingested. Probable carcinogen; suspected gastrointestinal, liver, immune system, nerve, reproductive system, and respiratory poison. Linked to leukemia, brain, colon, and lymphatic cancer.

Micro-organisms
Live and killed viri and bacteria or their toxins. The polio vaccine was contaminated with a monkey virus now turning up in human bone, lung-lining (mesothelioma), brain tumors and lymphomas.

Polysorbate 80
Known to cause cancer in animals.

Tri(n)butylphosphate
Suspected kidney and nerve poison

Glutaraldehyde
Poisonous if ingested. Causes birth defects in experimental animals.

Gelatin
Produced from selected pieces of calf and cattle skins, de-mineralized cattle bones and pork skin. Allergic reactions have been reported.

Gentamicin Sulfate and Polymyxin B (antibiotics)
Allergic reactions can range from mild to life threatening.

Neomycin Sulfate (antibiotic)
Interferes with Vitamin B6 absorption. An error in the uptake of B6 can cause a rare form of epilepsy and mental retardation. Allergic reactions can be mild to life threatening.

Phenol/phenoxyethanol (2-PE)
Used as antifreeze. Toxic to all cells and capable of disabling the immune system’s primary response mechanism.

Human and animal cells
Human cells from aborted fetal tissue and human albumin. Pig blood, horse blood, rabbit brain, guinea pig, dog kidney, cow heart, monkey kidney, chick embryo, chicken egg, duck egg, calf serum, sheep blood and others.

Hi, I have worked teaching children with autism and supporting schools as an Advisor for 12 years. It is great that you are seeking ideas and working with you little girl early. Please be wary of therapies that promise cure, as I have seen parents spend a lot of money with little benefit. Certainly many children over time change and develop strategies to help them to understand the world and develop good communication skills. Autism is still part of their make up as a person.
It is worth sticking with techniques and ideas that are well researched and there are guidelines or websites to help you decide that. Anything visual with repetitive will be helpful. Baby bumble type video clips with a variety of pictures to explain one action or object is helpful to generalize a concept. Alongside developing communication skills comes the development of social understanding and play. Developing a rapport with your child and playing with her at her play level is equally important, as is developing relationships with siblings and peers.
I wish you all the best on this journey,which may seem rockier at times. I am inspired and amazed by the commitment of families and children I so enjoy working with on the ASD spectrum.

Thanks, kerryn, for your advice and your words of support. I am using the ABA principles, which, as I am aware, are science-based and well-proven in their effectiveness. However, I am also open to, perhaps, less researched (at this stage?) techniques, as long as I am confident they will not do any harm to my daughter.

I did try an episode of baby bumblebee with her. She liked it the first time she saw it, however, when I tried showing it to her for the next few times she was visible bored and did not focus at all. I have put it down to its very slow pace. Interestingly, the principle used in these DVD’s, which are primarily for autistic kids, is very similar to the principle used in early education DVD’s teaching reading. Basically, you first see an image of the word, hear it and then see a visual illustration. I am hoping she will respond to right-brain techniques with the help of some other right-brain resources.

Just remember. What works for one child my not work for another. If someone tell you something didn’t work for them it may work for your little one. Everyone talks about vitamins helping. They made my son more wrangie if he took more then a basic multi vitamin. Do I discredit that vitamins help autistic children? No of course not. It just didn’t help mine and that’s fine.

Totally agree, waterdreamer! I will give a shot to anything that cannot harm anyway.