Adolescence Revisited. Are we going backwards in society?

Good point about family size. And I think it could be expanded to say that mortality rates mattered also. Especially with infants and even children.
While researching family history it was sobering to see the gravestones of so many unnamed infants. One of my husbands great grandmothers lost 6 children during infancy. 3 were unnamed. And 4 survived.

yes family size would make a difference I am sure. High mortality rates should make people MORE protective of their kids not less. figure that one out.
Kimba I know I am overprotective and as such I take great care to ensure that my children will not suffer for it. They are very outgoing and I do encourage them to talk to strangers oddly enough. I have taught them that people are on the whole very nice and friendly but that they need to be aware that there are some bad people out there but that if they are talking to someone in a public place they can remain safe. They all strike up conversations with people everywhere we go. I make a point to send them in to buy the bread at the bakery without me and little things like that.
As to rebelling well I have to say I think that is a combination of good parenting and the child’s personality. Whenever I say no to my children about something we discuss the risks involved and why I said no. Often times they come to me and say " I am getting an invitation to…and I don’t think it’s a good idea for me to go" then we chat about why and if they actually want to go we discuss ways could make it safer or appropriate. Sometimes if its a sleepover I will pick them up after dinner instead of letting them sleepover or if its a trip to the park I will stay at the park also. Mostly the dangers my children face are from bad influences rather than personal safety issues. We are not afraid of anything on a daily basis. And as insurance for later I have them all in taekwondo :slight_smile:
I know as they get older I will be more relaxed and let them make their own choices but it is going to stretch me at times I am sure. I think the key is to be aware and open in discussing why I make those choices with the kids.
For the record I still think I have one child who will rebel…reguardless of how much rope I give her! :confused:

I was raised on a farm so we ran around getting into dangerous, and stupid situations. We did lots of hard yakka on the farm.
However we were Becky sheltered. Didn’t sleep over at people’s houses, didn’t roam town or a thing like that. But that didn’t stop me from leaving home at 18 and ultimately moving to the other side of the world on my own. So I guess it just depends.

And Manda I agree that it seems like they should be more protective… But from accounts that I have read from family diaries and stuff it didn’t seem to be that way. It seems that there was an expectation that children just wouldn’t make it to adulthood and their was a kind of a “steal your heart” mentality. There was seldom enough time to mourn and it could be frowned upon. So children were to do as the may. And they would sometimes work in dangerous situations, or were recruited as child labourers.